Director of Audiology
Jo Mayo Endowed Professor
Associate Professor of Audiology
Office: Speech and Hearing Building, Room 120-C
- Ph.D. in Disability Research, Linköping University, Sweden, 2013
- Executive MBA, Swansea University, UK, 2013
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, Swansea University, UK, 2011
- Doctor of Audiology, Nova Southeastern University, USA, 2006
- M.S. in Audiology, University of Southampton, UK, 2006
- B.S. in Speech and Hearing, University of Mysore, India, 2005
- SPHS 4350 Problems and Projects
- SPHS 6382 Analysis of Professional Literature
- SPHS 6326 Research Methods
- SPHS 6350 Research in Health and Disability: Interdisciplinary perspective
- SPHS 6372 Candidacy Proposal
- SPHA 6383 Candidacy Paper Presentation
- Audiological enablement/rehabilitation
- Hearing aid demographics
- WHO’s - International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)
- Occupational hearing loss and hearing conservation
- Professional and regulatory aspects.
- Psychosocial aspects of hearing loss
- Tinnitus assessment and management
- Manchaiah, V., Danermark, B., Ahmadi, T., Tomé, D., Rajalakshmi, K., Zhao, F., Li, Q. & Germundsson, P. (2015). Social representation of ‘hearing loss’: Cross-cultural exploratory study in India, Iran, Portugal and United Kingdom. Clinical Interventions in Aging, In Press.
- Beukes, E., Manchaiah, V., Baguley, D.M., Andersson, G. & Allen, P.M. (2015). Internet-based cognitive Behavioural therapy for adults with tinnitus in the United Kingdom: Study protocol for a randomised controlled Trial. BMJ Open, In Press.
- Niemensivu, R., Manchaiah, V., Roine, R., Sintonen, H., Kentala, E. (2015). Health related quality of life in adults with hearing impairment before and after hearing aid rehabilitation in Finland. International Journal of Audiology, In press.
- Rasku, J., Pyykkö, I., Levo, H., Kentala, E., Manchaiah, V. (2015). Disease profiling for computerized peer-support of Ménière's disease. JMIR Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies, 2(2),e9. doi:10.2196/rehab.4109
- Manchaiah, V., Danermark, B., Vinay., Ahmadi, T., Tomé, D., Rajalakshmi, K., & Germundsson, P. (2015). Social representation of ‘hearing aids’: Cross-cultural study in India, Iran, Portugal and United Kingdom. Clinical Interventions in Aging, In press.
- Manchaiah, V., Rönnberg, J., Andersson, G. & Lunner, T. (2015). Stages of change profiles among adults experiencing hearing difficulties who have not taken any action: A cross-sectional study. PLUS One, 10(6): e0129107. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0129107.
- Zhao, F., Manchaiah, V., St. Claire, L., Danermark, B., Jones, L., Brandreth, M., Rajalakshmi, K. & Goodwin, R. (2015). Exploring the influence of culture on hearing help-seeking and hearing-aid uptake. International Journal of Audiology, 54(7), 435-443.
- Pyykkö, I., Manchaiah, V., Levo, H., Kentala, E., & Rasku, J. (2015). Attitudes of significant others of patients with Ménière’s disease vary from coping to victimization. International Journal of Audiology, 54(5), 316-322.
- Manchaiah, V., Baguley, D., Pyykkö, I., Kentala, E. & Levo, H. (2015). Positive experiences associated with acquired hearing loss, Ménière’s Disease and tinnitus: A review. International Journal of Audiology, 54(1), 1-10.
- Manchaiah, V., Gomersall, P.A., Tomé, D., Ahmadi, T. & Rajalakshmi, K. (2014). Audiologists’ preferences for patient-centredness: A cross-sectional questionnaire study of cross-cultural differences and similarities among professionals in in Portugal, India and Iran. BMJ Open, 4: e005915. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005915
- Manchaiah, V., Rönnberg, J., Andersson, G. & Lunner, T. (2014). Use of the "patient journey" model in the internet-based pre-fitting counseling of a person with hearing disability: Lessons from a failed clinical trial. BMJ Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders, 14, 3. doi:10.1186/1472-6815-14-3
- Manchaiah, V.K.C., Molander, P., Rönnberg, J., Andersson, G. & Lunner, T., (2014). The acceptance of hearing disability among adults experiencing hearing difficulties: A cross-sectional study. BMJ Open, 3, 1-8. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004066
- Manchaiah, V.K.C. & Stephens, D. (2013). Perspectives in defining ‘hearing loss’ and its consequences. Hearing, Balance and Communication, 11(1), 6-16.
- Manchaiah, V.K.C., Stephens D, Zhao, F. & Kramer, S.E. (2012). The role of communication partners in the audiological enablement/rehabilitation of a person with hearing impairment: An overview. Audiological Medicine, 10(1), 21-30.
- Manchaiah, V.K.C. & Stephens, D. (2012). The patient journey of adults with sudden-onset acquired hearing impairment: A pilot study. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 126(5), 475-481.
- Manchaiah, VKC, Zhao, F., Danesh, A.A. & Duprey, R. (2011). The genetic basis of Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD). International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 75, 151-158.
- Manchaiah, VKC, Stephens, D. & Meredith, R. (2011). The patient journey of adults with hearing impairment: the patients' view. Clinical Otolaryngology, 36, 227-234.
- Manchaiah, V.K.C. & Freeman, B. (2011). Audiogram: Is there a need for change in the approach to categorise degree/severity of hearing loss? International Journal of Audiology, 50, 638-640. – Letter to the Editor
- Zhao F, Manchaiah VKC, French D, Price S. (2010). Music exposure and hearing disorders: An overview. International Journal of Audiology, 49(1), 54-64.
- Co-founder and Board of Director for Strategic Planning of the non-profit and Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Audiology India, www.AudiologyIndia.org (Sept 2015 - till date). Served as the president January 2011 to August 2015.
- British Academy of Audiology Board of Director for Membership and Secretary (2011-2014).
- External Examiner for M.S Advanced Audiology at University College London, UK (2013-2014).
- External Examiner for Foundation degree in Hearing Aid Audiology and Masters of Science in Auditory Science at De Montfort University, UK (2010-2014).
- Editorial Board Member for the journals: International Journal of Speech Language Pathology, Audiology Research and Journal of Otology and Rhinology
- Reviewer for more than 20 academic and peer reviewed journals.
- Participated in various specialist working groups including: James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership (JLA PSP) to identify the uncertainties that surround the treatment of mild to moderate hearing loss (2014-2015); WHO-ICF core sets for hearing loss (2012); and Ida Institute workshops (2009, 2012).
- Welsh Assembly Government Scientific Advisory Group - Audiology sub-committee (2007-2013).
- Welsh regional representative for the British Academy of Audiology (2007-2013)
- Individual Record of Clinical Practice - National Audiology Clinical Learning Group (2007-2013).
Awards and Honors
- Fast and efficient PhD award from Linnaeus Centre HEAD, Linköping University, Sweden
- Completed Executive MBA with distinction.
- Winner of ideas of the month (April 2012) in IDEAS global hearing loss awareness competition for the proposed project "Sharing stories in different cultural context: Hearing loss awareness."
- Completed the Doctor of Audiology program with highest honors.
- Best poster presentation award for the paper "Tuning Curve Audiograms" at annual convention of Indian Speech Language and Hearing Association held at Mysore, India, in January 2004.
- Travelling the world: Visited 56 countries so far and aim to go around the world.
- Photography: www.flickr.com/photos/vinayamanchaiah/sets