The Mary Morgan Moore Department of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Undergraduate Degrees Offered
- Bachelor of Arts in Music - Voice or Instrument
- Bachelor of Arts in Music (emphasis in music business)
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Bachelor of Music (leading to teacher certification, with specialization in band, choir or orchestra)
Undergraduate Degrees - General Requirements
- Meet the basic requirements for all degree programs.
- Complete one of the programs of study listed below.
- Successfully complete seven semesters of MUSI 1170 (Recital Attendance) to be approved for graduation.
- A music course with a grade of "D" will not apply toward graduation.
- All non-piano students must continue to take class piano for as many consecutive long semesters as are required for the completion of the piano proficiency exam.
- Piano majors will take secondary voice or secondary instruments, whichever applies to their intended course of study (vocal or instrumental), for as many consecutive long semesters as are required for the completion of the vocal or instrumental proficiency exam.
Music Minor Requirements
Core Curriculum Requirement (3 hours):
MUSI 1306: All students seeking a minor in music will be required to take MUSI 1306 (Introduction to Music) as the core curriculum requirement in creative arts.
Music Minor Requirements (22 hours):
- MUTY 1211, 1212, 1116, 1117: 6 hours
- MUAP 12XX (2 courses): 4 hours
- MULB 117X (2 courses): 2 hours
- MUSI 1170 (2 courses): 2 hours
Upper Level (must earn 9 hours)
- MUSI 3310, 3271, or 3280: 2 or 3 hours
- MUSI 3250 or 3260: 2 hours
- Upper level music electives: 4 or 5 hours
Lamar University reserves the right to modify degree requirements and teaching certificate requirements in keeping with legislative acts and rules established by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the State Board for Education Certification.