B.A. in American Sign Language
Lamar University's Bachelor of Arts in American Sign Language enables students to acquire competence in both expressive and receptive ASL skills as well as familiarity with the literature and culture of the Deaf community.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about this degree.
Prospective Lamar University students should apply for admission online using the statewide Apply Texas system. To complete your application, you also may be required to submit standardized test scores and transcripts of previous high school and/or college work.
Visit the Be A Cardinal website for more information.
We offer three tracks for students to select from.
1. The education track prepares students to teach in the EC-12 classroom.
To obtain teacher certification, you must apply to the Teacher Preparation program. Be sure that you work with your advisor to take all required standardized tests to facilitate a smooth admission process into the Teacher Preparation program. Admission requirements for DSDE students to the Teacher Preparation program are:
- Successful completion of ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 with a grade of "C" or better
- Successful completion of MATH 1314 with a grade of “C” or better
- Successful completion of 45 semester hours, including PEDG 2310
- Successful completion of PEDG 2310 with a grade of "C" or better.
- A minimum GPA overall and in the certificate field of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
2. The interpreting track prepares students for careers in ASL interpreting.
3. The advocacy track prepares students for careers in advocacy work working with Deaf individuals.
More information to come
National publications name ASL teaching and interpreting two of the best, most meaningful jobs in the country. Within this program, you'll learn valuable communication skills that you can apply anywhere and with virtually anyone. ASL is the language that brings everyone together and you'll get to learn from experts every day.
What can I do with a degree in ASL?
- Educational Sign Language Interpreter
- K-12 ASL Teacher
- Deaf Mentor
- Transition Planner