The Jason Project
The JASON project is a 45-minute, science-oriented educational video annually produced by Department of Communication students, faculty, and staff with the additional coordination of Dr. Jim Westgate, professor of geology, and the national JASON Learning organization.
JASON was started by the discoverer of the Titanic, Dr. Bob Ballard. The goal of the JASON project is to get elementary and middle school students interested in and excited about science. Our local, annually-produced JASON DVD is part of that effort. Lamar faculty and staff serve as producers for the project, and students serve as paid interns, line producers, production assistants, photographers, and editors.
Awards, presentations, and publications relating to JASON project include:
- First place video at the National North American Association for Environmental Education Conference
- Five first place awards from the Houston Press Club
- Two second place awards from the Houston Press Club
- One first place award from the Press Club of Southeast Texas
- Five second place awards from the Press Club of Southeast Texas